
(Big Brown)
-
Big Brown was so overpowering in the Preakness Stakes that Kent Desormaux eased him across the wire as his rivals scrambled for second and third place honors. Improving his status to five wins in five starts, Big Brown now has what looks to be a very good shot at becoming horse racing's first Triple Crown winner in 30 years.
-In other news, horseracing was able to breathe somewhat of a sigh of relief as no horses were injured at Pimlico on Saturday. In the wake of Eight Belles's death, protestors stood at the front gates of Pimlico with signs that read things like "horse racing is animal cruelty," a statement that I will never believe to be true. Horses like Eight Belles and Big Brown get treated like royalty. I can't deny that I often wonder if horse racing is too dangerous, but I don't think these horses are treated badly. When I see Big Brown bound home on the lead with his ears pricked straight forward, I see a happy horse. When Eight Belles came home second in the Derby, she was a happy horse.

No comments:
Post a Comment