Thursday, January 14, 2010

2009 In the Rearview Mirror



2009--in my opinion, was overall an anti-climactic, from the Kentucky Derby to the Breeder's Cup Classic. In May, the Derby's two front runners, Quality Road and I Want Revenge stepped off the Derby trail. Both horses were primed and ready to run a great race, and either one of them could have won easily. I Want Revenge hasn't raced again, and probably never will. Quality Road came back to have a decent summer racing against the top three year olds, but his withdrawal from the Breeder's Cup Classic raises more questions still. Do I think he would have won? No. Not with Zenyatta in the field. However, I know Quality Road is a good horse, and he never got the chance to really prove what he can do. Mine That Bird proved he had class in the Derby and Preakness, but he never returned to that form throughout the year. Pioneer of the Nile fell from King of the West Coast to the forgotten horse, Friesan Fire went from Derby favorite to Derby flop. Larry Jones followed two Derby second place finishes with and eighteenth in his final Derby before retirement. That said, two stars emerged from the triple crown--Rachel Alexandra and Summer Bird. Summer Bird swept the Belmont Stakes, and then spent the summer proving that it was no coincidence. Rachel's Preakness Stakes made her the three year old to watch.
Where Rachel's story lacks an ending (and her story isn't over) is Zenyatta--both of the country's finest female race horses (probably the finest of any gender) will suffer from their not racing each other. The two ladies are the only contenders for Horse of the Year this year, and the decision would have been a ton easier knowing which would have come out on top if they'd raced.

That said, I think the Eclipse Awards will go something like this:

Horse of the Year: Zenyatta. Rachel is a fantastic horse, but I don't think the voters can overlook Zenyatta's Breeder's Cup Classic victory or her undefeated status. There are no other contenders for the honor.

Two Year Old Male: I think will go to Vale of York over Lookin at Lucky and Noble's Promise.

Two Year Old Filly: The choices are Blind Luck, Hot Dixie Chick, and She Be Wild. That one's a toss up for me.

Three Year Old Male: I would be upset if Summer Bird didn't get this over Mine That Bird and Quality Road.

Three Year Old Filly: Duh, Rachel Alexandra, definately over Careless Jewel and Flashing.

Older Male: A toss up between Einstein and Gio Ponti. I like Kodiak Kowboy, but I think these two are stronger than him.

Older Female: Another Duh--Zenyatta over Life is Sweet and Music Note.

Male Sprinter: This one I think will either go to Kodiak Kowboy or Zensational over Dancing in Silks.

Female Sprinter: Three way toss up--Music Note, Informed Decision and Ventura

Male Turf Horse: These three are all very strong contenders for this--Conduit, Precious Passion, and Gio Ponti. I have a feeling it will go to Gio Ponti.

Female Turf Horse: Should be Goldikova over Midday and Ventura.

No comments: