Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Quality Road


I have to admit it. I wasn't big on this horse at all from the start, but he is certainly making himself harder and harder to ignore. I was thoroughly impressed by his Florida Derby (even considering it was on a speed favoring track). But I'm not convinced yet. I'm not convinced that he is going to be able to run like that at Churchill Downs. I have been burned on Derby Day by too many Florida Derby winners throughout the years (Barbaro and Big Brown of course the exceptions). At any rate, Quality Road is certainly making a name for himself and I am looking forward to seeing what his future holds for him.

Record: 4-3-1-0
Major Preps won: Fountain of Youth Stakes, Florida Derby

Advantages: There's definately plenty of talent. Also, he has a pretty nice pedigree. Speaking of which, anyone else noticed the overwhelming number of Unbridled's Song foals in the mix this year? But if we're talking about pedigrees, I really like that of Friesan Fire.

Disadvatages: It's a bad, bad year to be a front runner in the Derby. Will need to show that he can lay back a little and harness his speed. (The same can be said for Old Fashioned, who also needs to prove his ability to cover this distance). Churchill is not a speed favoring track, which means that the performances of horses like Dunkirk, for example, will be stronger from off the pace, especially if the pace is fast (which, with the number of front runners contesting, it certainly will be.)

No comments: