
(left: Denis of Cork, right: Z Humor)The Illinois Derby became considered a major Kentucky Derby prep race in 2002, when War Emblem came from the Grade II even to win gate to wire in the Derby and Preakness, before faltering to eight in the Belmont. This year's Illinois Derby draws a fairly decent field, which is topped by undefeated Southwest winner, Denis of Cork. I personally think that this race was an easy way out for Denis of Cork, who comes to Hawthorne to avoid facing War Pass in the Wood M. Denis of Cork will be tough to beat here, but there are some other interesting horses to look at here. The race has also drawn Recapturetheglory, Instill, Z Humor, Atoned, Golden Spikes, and Real Appeal. I think the best shot at upsetting Denis of Cork today will come from Atoned, who was a determined runner up to Big Truck in the Tampa Bay Derby last month. Z Humor has been a bit dissapointing this season, but I think he has a good shot in this field. While Denis of Cork may be very tough to beat, Atoned is a tough horse, who is looking to break a long streak of seconditis. The colt has been second in his last four. His lifetime record is very respectable, with 8 starts, and only 2 wins, but five times second. A good race here could set him up nicely for Kentucky. This isn't a very deep field, but here, I like:



No comments:
Post a Comment